Volunteer To Stay Physically and Mentally Healthy
Working and/or volunteering:
- Keeps you socially active, prevents isolation, and can provide a sense of purpose.
- Can be an opportunity for exploration of, or return to lifelong interests.
- Provides flexibility and more free-time.
- Remaining in the workforce longer may increase social security benefits.
The Experienced Workforce Imitative (EWI) offers networking and skill-building opportunities for older adults. through job and volunteer fairs.
EWI is an initative of Age-Friendly Buncombe County (ABC) in collaboration with partner organizations and hosted by Mountain Area Workforce Development Board.
According to the Corporation for National Community & Service, the most common forms of volunteering are:
- Collecting, serving, preparing, or distributing food
- Fundraising or selling items to raise money
- Engaging in general labor, like helping build homes or clean up parks
- Tutoring or teaching
- Mentoring the youth
- Collecting, making, or distributing clothing
Take the initative, work or volunteer for the well-being of yourself and your community.